Playland Skate Center has been an Austin institution since 1973 and offers the finest in skating entertainment with an impressive light show, fog machine and state of the art sound system playing a wide variety of music. Their extra large skating facility at 27,500 square feet is Austin’s largest and offers children and adults a safe, fun, clean and entertaining roller skating experience. On Friday, September 5th, Playland Skate will reopen at 3:00pm to unveil the new skating surface and offer Austinites the opportunity to be the first skaters on the new wood floor! Here are more cool facts about Playland:
* School and church skating parties are a profitable venture and Playland Skate Center is the perfect place for your next party or fundraiser. It’s easy because there’s no handling money, no product, no selling, no unused inventory, and you never lose money! Just invite your parents, brothers, sisters, neighbors, congregation and students. Your organization receives a percentage of the total admission sales. Roller skating is a fun, healthy social event that can help you provide for your church or school community. Call 452-1901 today to schedule your fundraising event at Playland Skate Center.
* Birthday Parties at Playland leave the catering to you. Parents can sit back while the kids have a blast at Playland Skate Center with no worries about cleanup! Party Times are Saturday from 1-3 pm, 4-6 pm & 7-9 pm or Sunday from 1-3 pm. There are 3 party packages to choose from: small party package for 8 guests, medium party package for 13 guests or the large party package for 21 guests. Or you can rent out the entire rink for a private party! Click here to visit the website for prices and details about each party package.
* Playland Skate Center is a great place for a field trip. Skating is fun and great exercise for all ages. The price is $4.50 per child and does include roller skates. Special daytime hours are available during Christmas break, Spring Break, all school holidays and through the summer. Also “special daycare and summer camp only” sessions are available early morning in the summer.
* FREE public skate lessons are offered from 11-11:45 am with purchase of Sunday’s admission (12-5pm for $8.00 per person). Please arrive 10-15 minutes prior to lessons as doors close promptly at 11:10am! This class is for all ages, boy and girls! We teach the basic of skating, starting, stopping, rolling and turning but also work on crossing and skating backwards for more advanced skaters. Remember if you can walk, you can skate!
* Every Friday night from 6:00 pm – 7:00 pm they offer a beginner speed skating class. The class is free to first time students and all that they require you to bring is a helmet. If you do not have your own pair of speed skates, not to worry, the instructors provide a few pairs of speed skates that are available for you to try.
* Playland Skate Center hosts the Sk8 4 Fitness class every Friday morning from 10:30 am – 12:00 pm. To come, you must have a helmet, but the $10 class fee includes skate rental, or you can of course bring your own. The class is about getting you skating, moving, sweating, and having fun! It is open for kids and adults ($5 admission for kids), and you can always bring your kids and let them play on the Playscape, our indoor playground, for only $3.00 more.
* Click here for a complete schedule of events and open skate hours.
In honor of their new look, we are giving away a birthday party package that includes free admission and roller skate rental for up to 8 children, 2 pitchers of soda and a reserved table for 2 hours ($95 value). Entry for our random drawing just takes 2 easy steps: 1) leave a comment on our facebook post (https://www.facebook.com/austinkidsdirectory) listing your favorite song to skate to and 2) send an email to email@example.com with that same information. We will randomly choose a winner from the valid entries and announce that winner on the facebook post and via email. Deadline for entries is Sunday, September 7th at midnight. Winner will be announced on Monday, September 8th at 8am.